Most of us will admit that at some point in our lives, we were a bit lost at sea! Every day, people sit at their desk or at their kitchen table and day dream about making a change in their lives. They want to add a bit of spark to things and feel that they have so much untapped potential. The problem is, they don’t know where or how to start the process of change.
We allow ourselves to be held back by many different factors. Some are real actual issues we need to take into consideration (such as leaving a secure job without another one to go to) right through to our own personal insecurities getting in the way (I’m not good enough or someone else is better than me). The greatest point we have to remember is, we are actually in control of what happens to us, much more than we like to think. Each and every one of us has the ability to make changes, that is a fact! Whether it’s radical change like moving to a new country or just changing our mindset to be more positive and pro-active in following our dream, we all can make that change.
Now I know you may be sitting there thinking “Yeah that’s easier said than done”, and this is true to an extent but if we actually sit back and analyse what is in our way, there are very few elements that we can’t overcome. In our individual work with clients, we see it every single day! People who felt that there were too many obstacles in their way, after working with us for a short period of time, broke through the barriers that, ultimately were put there by themselves, and have achieved their desired goals. Sometimes all we need is someone to guide us through the initial process of recognising those barriers and exploring ways to make them disappear!
Does this sound familiar? So what do you do next? Here are some tips to get moving forward and get pro-active. It’s in your hands!
- Be very specific about what it is you want to achieve – Many people say to us, “I want to change job”. When we ask what it is they want to do, they look blankly back at us. What they are actually saying is, “I just want to get out of THIS job!”. When you want to make a change, decided what it is you actually want and keep looking forward.
- When you have decided where you want to get to, begin to examine the practical steps you need to take to get there - If you want to be a doctor and are currently an office worker, you need to see what qualifications you need, how much it might cost etc. It’s not impossible to achieve but you need to be realistic about the time scale and do you want it enough.
- Carry out a cost/benefit analysis – By this we mean, look at all the pros to making this change, write down everything. Then look at all the cons of this process. This will help you to make sure this is the course of action you want to take.
- Go for it! After going through the above steps, and you’ve decided its what you want to do…go for it! You’ll have days of insecurity and doubt but you need to stay focused, you can do it!
- If you are ready to make change happen for yourself, we’re here to guide you through the process. Email Allen today at email@example.com to get moving!!